Mold requires water to grow and it is very important to prevent excess moisture.
Moisture problems can have many causes, including uncontrolled humidity. Building materials, such as drywall, may not allow moisture to escape easily.
Molds can grow on any organic substance as long as moisture and oxygen are present. When excessive moisture accumulates in buildings or on building materials, mold growth will often occur, particularly if the moisture problem remains undiscovered or unaddressed. Controlling excess indoor moisture is the solution. (See a dehumidifier)
Mold spores are produced by molds and can’t be seen without magnification. They waft through the indoor and outdoor airs continuously. Once they land on a damp spot indoors, they may begin growing and digesting whatever they are growing on in order to survive. Molds gradually destroy the things they grow on.
All types of molds can cause a potential health risk and produce allergens that can trigger allergic reactions or even asthma attacks in people allergic to mold. Potential health concerns are an important reason to prevent mold growth and to remediate any existing indoor mold growth.
Spots where there is excessive moisture, and molds can grow on:
- Roof leaks
- Landscaping or gutters that direct water into or under the building
- Unvented combustion appliances
- Delayed maintenance or insufficient maintenance are also associated with moisture problems in schools and large buildings
Caution should be used to prevent mold and mold spores from being dispersed throughout the air where they can be inhaled by building occupants.